Each year the Prairie Woods Nature Center Host a Christmas Tree Decorating Contest Thanksgiving-New Years. Participants are local classrooms (grades 3, 4 and 5) paired up with a local sponsor. Voting is open to any visitor. No fee to view or vote, one vote per person per visit. Two amazing prizes to be won!
Interested in sponsoring a 3rd, 4th or 5th grade class for this year’s Prairie Woods Christmas Decorating Contest? Here is some more information!
The entry fee for the contest is $1,000. Your school of choice will receive $200 of this for contest supplies. Any money left over after supplies are purchased are for the teacher to use elsewhere as they see fit. The remaining entry fee goes to the Sioux County Conservation Foundation (SCCF) whose mission is providing resources for the enhancement, preservation, and enjoyment of nature in Sioux County. SCCF is a 501c3 organization. This means your gift is tax deductible! Money raised will help continue to provide wonderful outdoor education and recreational opportunities for people of all ages in Sioux County.
Why should you Sponsor a Class
- Without a sponsor, a class cannot enter the contest.
- Funds go directly into the classroom of your choice!
- Funds go directly for projects and outdoor education opportunities at the Prairie Woods Nature Center.
- Your business logo and name will appear in advertising contest!
- Your business logo and name will be displayed at the contest– over 200 people visited last year!!
- Your gift is tax-deductible.
- Friendly competition between other local business for prizes!
- Winners displayed on website and in newsletter and possible newspaper articles!
- Show off your school spirit!
- Spread Christmas Cheer!
Yes I want to be a Sponsor
- Contact your school of choice. Inform them which class(es) you are interested in sponsoring.
Contests open to 3rd, 4th and 5th grade of the following schools:
Boyden-Hull*, Hull Christian*, Hull Protestant Reformed, Ireton Christian, MOC Floyd Valley*, Orange City Christian, Rock Valley Christian*, Rock Valley Community, Sioux Center Christian*, Sioux Center Community, Spalding Catholic*, West Sioux. (Those marked with * have participated in the past. Teachers from NRCS have chosen not to participate.)
- If they are interested, write your check and mail it before November 15 to Sioux County Conservation Foundation,1603 Oak Grove Road, Hawarden IA, 51023.
- Encourage your business/corporation/family and friends through word of mouth, social media, email etc. to come out and vote for your sponsored tree! Contest runs the Saturday after Thanksgiving to the Saturday after New Year’s Day during the Nature Center’s open hours. No fee to view or vote for the trees, one vote per visit per person.
Outstanding Use Previous Winners
2021- Spalding Catholic (3rd&4th) with Cleveringa Excavating
2022- Hull Christian (4th&5th) with Verhoef Custom Woodworking
Peoples Choice Previous Winners
2021- Hull Christian (4th&5th) with D&K Doors
2022- Sioux Center Christian (4th) with Sioux Center Christian School